James Street School - We Love to Learn

ANZAC Celebration April 2015

A group of  students recognised for their reading and investigation ability, researched and then shared their learning about 'ANZAC' at a special grandparents and whanau celebration.

All tamariki learned World War 1 songs during the term: 'K K K K Katie', 'It's a long way to Tipperary', 'Pack up your troubles' and their favourite 'Keep the home fires burning'.

A keen group of dancers choreographed a dance for 'It's a long long way to Tipperary'.

The ending of this special assembly was very moving as students added crosses, lay their wreath, spoke the ode and listened to the Last Post. Everyone stood and bowed their heads in complete silence as "We all remembered them".

Rosemary, Te Arepa and Raelene painted the poppy fence.

Technology Challenge 2015

3 teams of tamariki have been selected to represent our school at the local Technology Challenge in March. These students have shown talent in creativity and being able to work as part of a team. They have trained with Mrs Smith.

Rolling newspaper tightly was the first challenge! Creating a bridge to hold a load was challenge two. We are all ready to go to the Challenge on the 20th of March.

Student Leadership 2015

Ten students from each senior class have put themselves forward for lunchtime leadership. These students run our Growing Great Learners' lunchtime programme. They are responsible for several play areas: bikes, scooters, dress ups, creating and coaching. They play with the children and initiate lunchtime chat with their peers. Another tuakana teina initiative.